1/3 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons rendered lard, bacon grease or neutral cooking oil
1/2 pound breakfast sausage*
1/2 peeled sweet potato (approximately 1 cup), diced
1/2 onion, diced
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Creme fraiche, mixed fine herbs (dill, tarragon, parsley) to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In an 8” seasoned cast iron skillet or non-stick pan, sauté the ground pork with 1 tablespoon of fat/oil. Use medium low heat and keep an eye on the pork while cooking. The sugar and syrup in the sausage makes the mixture likely to scorch if left unattended for more than a few seconds.
- When the sausage is cooked, transfer onto a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
- If you have enough fat left in the pan you can use this, otherwise add another tablespoon of fat/oil and sauté the sweet potato until it is tender.
- When the sweet potato is cooked through, sauté the onion until it is translucent.
- Add the sausage to the vegetables, mix to combine and season with the 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Turn the burner on low, pour in the egg/cream mixture and cook on the stovetop, undisturbed, until the sides of the frittata begin to pull away from the pan. This should take about 3 minutes.
- Add the cheddar cheese
- Carefully place the fritatta in the preheated oven and bake until the custard has set, approximately 20 minutes.
- Allow to rest for a few minutes prior to portioning. Garnish with creme fraiche and fine herbs.
- BREAKFAST SAUSAGE
1 pound ground pork
1 packet Larder Club Breakfast Sausage seasoning
(or substitute with: 1 teaspoon sea salt, 1 teaspoon brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon each - garlic powder, allspice, dried sage, and cayenne)
2 tablespoons maple syrup
Mix pork and seasoning, preferably a day prior to making the frittata, and refrigerate until ready to use. This allows the seasoning to lightly cure and season the pork, which enhances the flavor and texture of the sausage.