Larder Style Lettuce Wraps
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 head of radicchio, romaine, or butter leaf lettuce (picked into leaves)
- 1 red onion, minced
- 1 large portobello mushroom, scrape gills then mince
- 4 heads of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- Kosher Salt, to taste
- Fresh basil leaves, torn or julienned (for garnish)
- Brown the beef in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Strain or pour off fat and remove beef from skillet, set aside.
- Add some of the canola oil to the pan and lightly sauté the red onion until it caramelizes slightly. Try to scrape up any browned beef remains (these tasty bits of flavor are called “fond”) and mix this into the onion.
- Add the minced mushroom and sauté with the onion.
- Add the garlic and mix to combine with the onion and mushroom.
- Add the beef back to the skillet with the mushroom/onion mixture.
- Make a small well in the middle of the beef mixture and pour in the balsamic vinegar and the brown sugar. Allow the vinegar/sugar to reduce slightly to thicken.
- Mix the beef and thickened balsamic to incorporate.
- Season to taste with the red chili flakes and the kosher salt.
- Serve with the radicchio or lettuce leaves and garnish with basil.